Tue 1 Dec 2020 - Wed 2 Dec 2020 - All Day
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Formulations are complex products with multiple components and phases. Also, we usually need to balance several performance properties to deliver the optimum product. No wonder that the traditional “one variable at a time” approach to product optimisation often fails.
First run in 2018, Design of Experiments for Formulators is a two-day course which will improve your practical understanding of statistical experimental design (DoE) and how it can be applied to improve and develop your formulations.:
Design of Experiments for Formulators is very suitable for:
– Those involved in all aspects of formulation, from researchers, through to product developers, scale-up engineers and process engineers in manufacturing.
– Those active in all formulating industries areas including inks, coatings, agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, food, drink, FMCG, home care and health care.
DoE software will be used in the course, but the principles can be applied to all traditional software packages as well as Excel. No serious prior statistical knowledge will be needed.
For a taster of this course, have a look at our free webinar here.
HOW YOU WILL BENEFIT
- Become familiar with the principles of Experimental Design (DoE)
- Learn the differences between screening, optimising and robust designs
- Learn how to design full and fractional designs for processes and mixtures
- Understand how to analyse results to identify main factors and interaction
- Appreciate the value of Principle Component Analysis for formulations
- Become aware of the pitfalls to avoid in DoE
WHAT PREVIOUS DELEGATES THOUGHT
- Very useful, clearly applicable even outside of formulation
- Good in-depth content
- Good blend of lecture, case study and interactivity
- Good content, Particularly sections on design set-up and choice of design
- Enjoyed mix of content and workshops
- Very informative. Well presented.
- Well planned out. Good mix of training and case studies to put into practice.
9:00 Introduction and course objectives
9:15 The “Art of Formulation”
9:30 Introduction to the principles of Design of Experiments (DoE) with a comparison with traditional methods. Introduction to DoE language and the DoE process. How to identify potentially important factors and ranges
11:00 Designs for two factors. Workshop: Calculating main effects and identifying interactions. An introduction to the maths
13:30 Workshop: Factor selection. Fractional factorial designs.
15:15 Mixture designs. Types of designs. Comparison and contrast with process designs
16:00 Other design types and case studies
9:00 Recap of day 1
9:15 Design types continued: optimisation, response surface and robustness. Workshop: Implementing DoE
11:00 Workshop continued and Case studies.
13:30 The importance of solvents in formulations
14:00 Principal component analysis (PCA) for solvent selection
15:30 Review of the course and questions
Dr Paul Murray – Paul Murray Catalysis Consulting Limited
Dr David Calvert – Director, iFormulate Ltd
Design for Formulation will be held at the Jury’s Inn Hotel, East Midlands Airport, UK. The location is convenient for road (M1), mainline rail (East Midlands Parkway) and air (European and UK) connections. Further details on the venue and travel connections can be found here.
£1,045 + VAT per person for registrations before 30th September. Price after this date will be £1,205 plus VAT
To register and pay by invoice, please e-mail email@example.com with the delegate’s name and e-mail address.
Alternatively you can pay using your credit card by clicking on the the PayPal button below. You do not need a PayPal account and the amount includes VAT @20%.
Our terms and conditions for cancellations and amendments to bookings can be found here.
Our policies on data protection, privacy and cookies can be found here.