This is a past event. For upcoming training on this subject, please go to the event web page.
Jurys Inn, East Midlands Airport, UK
December 3rd – 4th 2019
Formulations are complex products with multiple components and phases. Also, we usually need to balance several performance properties to deliver the optimum product. No wonder that the traditional “one variable at a time” approach to product optimisation often fails.
First run in 2018, DESIGN OF EXPERIMENTS FOR FORMULATORS is a two-day course which will improve your practical understanding of statistical experimental design (DoE) and how it can be applied to improve and develop your formulations.:
DESIGN OF EXPERIMENTS FOR FORMULATORS is very suitable for:
– Those involved in all aspects of formulation, from researchers, through to product developers, scale-up engineers and process engineers in manufacturing.
– Those active in all formulating industries areas including inks, coatings, agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, food, drink, FMCG, home care and health care.
DoE software will be used in the course, but the principles can be applied to all traditional software packages as well as Excel. No serious prior statistical knowledge will be needed.
For a taster of this course, have a look at our free webinar here.
HOW YOU WILL BENEFIT
WHAT PREVIOUS DELEGATES THOUGHT
- Become familiar with the principles of Experimental Design (DoE)
- Learn the differences between screening, optimising and robust designs
- Learn how to design full and fractional designs for processes and mixtures
- Understand how to analyse results to identify main factors and interactions
- Appreciate the value of Principle Component Analysis for formulations
- Become aware of the pitfalls to avoid in DoE
- Very useful, clearly applicable even outside of formulation
- Good in-depth content
- Good blend of lecture, case study and interactivity
- Good content, Particularly sections on design set-up and choice of design
- Enjoyed mix of content and workshops
- Very informative. Well presented.
- Well planned out. Good mix of training and case studies to put into practice.
Day 1 – Tuesday 3rd December 2019
9:00 Introduction and course objectives
9:15 The “Art of Formulation”
9:30 Introduction to the principles of Design of Experiments (DoE) with a comparison with traditional methods. Introduction to DoE language and the DoE process. How to identify potentially important factors and ranges
11:00 Designs for two factors. Taylor’s expansion and an introduction to the statistics. Designs for three and more factors. Workshop: Selecting factors and ranges
13:30 Fractional factorial designs. Different design types from screening designs to optimisation and robustness designs
15:15 Mixture designs. Types of designs. Comparison and contrast with process designs
16:00 How and when to use the different design types. Workshop: Calculating main effects and identifying interactions
Day 2: Wednesday 4th December 2019
9:00 Recap of day 1
9:15 The importance of solvents in formulations
9:30 Principal component analysis (PCA) for solvent selection
11:00 Case studies.
13:30 Workshop: Implementing DoE.
15:30 Review of the course and questions
Dr Laura Forfar – Paul Murray Catalysis Consulting
Dr Paul Murray – Paul Murray Catalysis Consulting
Dr David Calvert – Director, iFormulate Ltd
Design for Formulation will be held at the Jury’s Inn Hotel, East Midlands Airport, UK. The location is convenient for road (M1), mainline rail (East Midlands Parkway) and air (European and UK) connections. Further details on the venue and travel connections can be found here.
£1149 + VAT per person for registrations after 30th September
To register and pay by invoice, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the delegate’s name and e-mail address.
Alternatively you can pay using your credit card by clicking on the the PayPal button below. You do not need a PayPal account and the amount includes VAT @20%.
Our conditions for cancellations and amendments to events bookings can be found here.